I got this from Txmom2Jami and Pottermom:
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I actually prefer brown craft paper carefully stenciled with stars. But since I’m never going to get around to that….bags.
2. Real tree or Artificial? I have an allergy to the fungus that grows on real trees, so I have to have an artificial one. Otherwise, I will have asthma and bronchitis, and possibly pneumonia.
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually the weekend after Thanksgiving. Although one year, I got the tree up (it’s prelit, so I didn’t have to mess with lights), but I never got the ornaments on it. I liked it that way, too.
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually New Year’s Day, but I have been known to take it down a few days before.
5. Do you like egg nog? Oh, yeaaahhhh…..non-alcoholic. Borden’s is the best.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, we have 2.
8. Hardest person to buy for? Well, it always was my dad. But this year we have decided not to exchange gifts between my parents, all 3 of my sisters, and their families. So this year I guess it would be Brandon and Rachael. Brandon would say he likes crisp green stuff, and he doesn’t mean veggies.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Probably Bethany. Since she is out of a job, there are a lot of things she could use.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? There would be 2 of those. One was a “white elephant” gift from a woman in my office. It was a monkey made from a coconut. The other would be a candle from someone I was dating. The candle was pretty, but I wanted something more meaningful than a candle.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? I don’t think I really have a favorite that’s an old classic. I tire of “It’s a Wonderful Life,” since I can pretty well recite the lines from memory. I do like “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” I guess that’s a classsic, since it came out when I was little, and I am….well, nevermind. But some of my favorites are newer shows…like “Boyfriend for Christmas.” I want Beth to take notes.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Oh my goodness….I am terrible about getting started now. When I had more energy, I use to start shopping at the after Christmas sales, and stash them till the next year. And I made a lot of gifts. One year I made each sister an afghan. But I don’t buy nearly as much now, and wait much later. I have one gift already, that I ordered. It is for…..(ha…..you thought I was gonna tell you, didn’t you? )
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, never have. And I don’t plan on starting.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chocolate meringue pie and lemon meringue pie. But I’m the only one in our family now that makes them.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Stupid people. They come out of the woodwork this time of year. They drive crazy (or crazier) and they trample others to get to the things they want to buy. Nothing is worth that. Also, people who spend their time trying to make others take Christmas out of Christmas. It really is ok to say Merry Christmas. But there again…that would be stupid people.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? The ornaments on our tree are red, gold and green. I love the look of deep ruby red with gold. I don’t have a theme, because I hand-pick most ornaments usually to be one of a kind. Plus we have some that have memories from the kids’ childhoods. When Brandon was little, and we still worked for Houston Lighting & Power, the power plant where Steve worked had a Christmas party. They handmade ornaments for each child in a family and dated it. I still hang all those on the tree. I also have a “baby on a cloud” for each of our 3 kids. It is engraved with their name, birthdate, weight and time of birth. (EDIT: Steve just reminded me of Brandon and Bethany moving their angels to a higher branch, to be higher than the other one. They had to “fight” over who got to be higher.) I have a few ornaments from Steve’s childhood.
24. Favorite Holiday TV show? I don’t really think I have one.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I honestly don’t have any wants for Christmas, unless it would be that my knee would be completely healed. Other than that, I just want all my family together and safe.
After the morning church service, we went to eat at Casa Ole. Then Brandon and Rachael went to the gun show at a nearby convention center. On the way back to church tonight, Steve and I stopped at a funeral home for a visitation. It was for Karen Cryer, whom I posted about a few days ago. She had liver cancer. Her funeral is in the morning at 10:00. Then at 2:00, I have therapy. My day will be kind of busy.