I thought it was time to post again…

It’s been a while since I posted, except for a couple of birthdays. Life has been a little stressful for the last several months.

Most of you see me on Facebook. For those who don’t, here’s what’s been happening:

March 8, my mother went in the hospital (St. Luke’s/Texas Heart Institute in the Houston, TX Medical Center), to have a heart catheterization. She was going to have bypass surgery, and the doctors needed to determine which places to put the bypasses. It was determined that she needed 2-4 bypasses.

Then on Tuesday, March 9, she had a triple bypass. She was in the hospital 2-1/2 weeks at St. Luke’s. She had some serious setbacks there. Her heart did well, but her kidneys did not. She is in end-stage renal failure, and has been on dialysis for a year. She was not able to keep food down, and did not feel like eating, so they put in a feeding tube. That helped her to heal. Otherwise, she would not have gotten enough protein. The cardiologist wanted to release her to a long-term care facility, but that facility did not think she was ill enough to need it. So they let her go home.

She fell that night, and the next day I had to take her to the emergency room at a local hospital, Memorial Hermann Southeast. She was extremely weak, and was unable to do anything for herself. Her mind was not working as it should have been.

Her regular nephrologist (kidney specialist) that she had been seeing for a year, saw her that night in the ER. He was alarmed that her blood chemicals were much higher than they should have been. He said she had not been getting adequate dialysis for some time. I had them call in the same cardiologist Steve saw a few weeks back. He said it appeared that one of her bypasses had already collapsed. He said 30% of them do collapse within 30 days after surgery.

She stayed nearly a week, but since the long-term care facility would not take her, and she was too weak for Daddy to care for, we had to put her in a nursing home across the street from the hospital. I hated that…it wasn’t a place we wanted her to be.

The next morning, I had to take her to the dialysis facility. But we ran into a problem. During dialysis, her blood pressure dropped to 58/20, which is much too low. We did determine that the nurses at the nursing home gave her all 3 of her blood pressure medications that morning before dialysis, and they should not have. They should have only given her one. Any nurse should know that…dialysis drops the blood pressure, so with blood pressure meds, it makes it drop too low.

Back to the ER. She was having a lot of abdominal pain, and a year before, she had peritonitis due to an intestinal rupture. That required emergency surgery then. After several tests this time, it was determined that there was nothing wrong other than an infection. But her mind was still not clear. One day I had to go to the hospital and force her to take her antibiotics. She also had pneumonia. And in her unclear mind, she could not understand that refusing her medications would endanger her life.

She was finally released to the long-term care hospital. They agreed this time that she was sick enough. She was there about 3 weeks, and released one week ago, to a different rehabilitation hospital. She is getting a lot of physical therapy there, so she can better care for herself when she goes home.

But 1-1/2 weeks ago, we found out my dad has Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. He has been extremely tired for a long time, and his latest blood tests showed low blood count (both red and white cells) and low platelets. He had a bone marrow biopsy that showed leukemia.

The doctors had suspected multiple myeloma ( a different type of bone marrow cancer) back 10 years ago. But the tests were inconclusive. They were unable to tell he had leukemia at that time.

I’m going with Daddy to the doctor next Wednesday, so more than one person can hear what the doctor wants to do as treatment. We already know he will have chemotherapy.

And as if that wasn’t enough, we found out Bethany will most likely have surgery again. It’s been 2 years since her ankle reconstruction, after she ruptured a tendon in an accident. She had also had a stress fracture. She’s still been having  pain, so she had an MRI 3 weeks ago. It showed that she has a benign tumor in a bone in her ankle. They will have to remove it, so it won’t shatter the bone as it grows.

Bethany is planning to go to Indonesia next summer to see the little girl that she sponsors with Compassion International. She’ll need the surgery before she goes. I don’t want her to be in Indonesia and have a bone break.

So that’s what we’ve been up to since March.  And this October, we have a church homecoming. Our church is 115 years old. To prepare for it, we are having a workday at the church every
Saturday until the Homecoming on October 10. Then 2 weeks later, a lady in our church is getting married. I’m doing the entire wedding….dress, flowers, decorating, cake, etc.

So I will still be extremely busy for the next few months. After all this, I am hoping to just get to sit and do nothing.

Please also pray for a couple of ladies at church. One has breast cancer and is undergoing chemo now. The other had breast cancer 13 years ago, and recently found another lump.

I’m not even going to ask what else can happen.


One thought on “I thought it was time to post again…

  1. Hah! The guilt of not posting got to you huh? lol ;)Despite knowing most of this from Facebook it has a whole different impact seeing it all written down in one fell swoop.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s